Sunday, June 26, 2011

impermance

Following on from my last post.... if you can think that far back. I'd thought to dig out and post a song from the Split EP I did for Zaftig Research about 8 years ago. It was probably my first attempt at taking a more technique based approach to writing a song. It was when I'd first got my Juno 6 and I was taken by the idea of writing a song using only that and a patch for my Nord Micromodular that was an emulation of the Juno 6. In my own way I was laughing up my cuff about the fact that the elements of the track which sounded more typically "analogue" were generally coming from the Nord and the more abstract and digital components were cut and processed out of recordings from the Juno.

Ah, what a merry japester I was.

Anyway, this all ended in tears when I discovered that my copy of the Split EP is gubbed. Zaftig was a CDr label and it seems that the quality of the CDr's used weren't all that great as when I now play it (or listen to tracks that have been ripped to WAV from it) there is a layer of digital distortion and bit rate weirdness. I think that I'll have back-ups of the old song files somewhere on an old CDr but I'm now wondering whether they'll even read given that they'll be of a similar vintage and are data.

I'm sure there is a lesson to be learned here about backup regimes and such like but I can't put my finger on it. In the meantime, I guess that I can have a trawl through the CDr as it is for some Oval style sample harvesting.

2 comments:

  1. Thesе never fail to businеss sеrve theiг clients.

    Now, let me briеfly ѕhaгe ωith you a few different busineѕs
    reaѕons.

    mу ωeb-sіte :: top spot internet marketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good tip especially to those fresh
    to the blogosphere. Brief but very accurate information… Thank you for sharing
    this one. A must read article!

    Also visit my web blog :: diets that work for women

    ReplyDelete