Tuesday, June 14, 2011

calibrate your pretentiometers... this is getting messy

I've recently been starting to pull together some songs with a vague notion about what my next release might be. As I've been going through songs, parts of songs and simple sketches that might be worth expanding on I've noticed that the songs can fall into a few different categories. Which in turn makes me wonder what drives other people to write music... maybe most musicians are more focused and as such more productive?? I'm not sure.

I'd say there are probably three categories: emotive, technique based and little vignettes. By emotive, I mean that the song starts out as an attempt to capture an emotional response perhaps in the way that vocal based song-writers do every day. But it seems moot, because when it's predominately instrumental who's to say I'm not just writing a track about withered prunes. The technique based songs (perhaps these are tracks?!?) are extrapolations of ideas in sound that interest me. Just really looking to come up with something interesting on an aesthetic level. The techniques? Anything from when I'm continuing to explore my home-knitted ideas of music theory to an exploration of specific synthesis methods. Lastly, the vignettes I mention are where there is an event that leave a strong visual impression that I want to describe in sound. I'm trying my best to dodge past the usual cliché's of electronic music being a soundtrack for a film that doesn't exist but perhaps there is a small kernel of truth in there. A good example of this would be the song Thick Accents And Red Leaves from my EP that just came out on Gravity Halo which was about a banal situation involving a Ukranian fellow in autumn.

I suppose one things that marries all of the above together is that I can't write anything when I've an instrument in my hand or I'm in the "studio". I can come up with ideas and "jam" to an extent, but I always find that I write my music away from it as I'm ambling about my daily business when ideas are just percolating away. Harmonic percolating maybe?

But enough for just now. I'll try to get back onto less indulgent footing for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment